Spotted a red fox under the apple tree in the back yard this morning. At first I thought it was a large cat, but then it turned its face toward the window. Definitely a fox. Looked very much like the one in the picture below, but I did not catch it on my camera. (This picture is from the internet.)
We suspect that the fox was interested in the birds around our bird feeders. (We recently added a few bird feeders out near the apple tree.)
Other recent wildlife updates:
- There are active moles tunneling under the yard in various areas.
- Plenty of hawks and bald eagles who, along with the owls, are probably snacking on the moles.
- On the evening of Halloween, I was startled by a huge stag crossing the street in front of our house. It was the biggest animal I had seen in the wild in a long time.
- Turkeys continue to march around the yard a few times each day. They have been managing to flap up into the crab apple trees to eat the little apples.
- Piper was recently excited to discover the remains of a deer by the trail.